Ubuntu 10.4 Keeps Logging out

Hi Guys
I’ve installed Ubuntu 10.4 on my system and its just seems to be logging out on its own.
I’ve looked at the Ubuntu forums but there seems to be no solution to the problem.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1387438

I’m wondering if anybody here had/has the same problem as well?
A few users have suggested that Xorg is the problem, i had a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log but i cant make heads or tails of it.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

I only will suggest for your problem on the log outs

Firstly can you add a little more detail to your problem and how it possibly started but any way I have suggested the below just as a general note.
Since you are having these constant log out problems, I will suggest that you backup your stuff if any to another partition or or an external medium. This you can do via the terminal by getting a combination of ctrl+alt+F1
loggin as if you are logging into you an ordinary account. after which access the root user account by the command

sudo -i
enter command
fdisk -l
to get the list of the media attached to you pc
usually and external will be “sdb” and a partition “sda” with sda1 being the windows partition, create a folder in the /mnt folder as point to mount on (say you name it “flash”)
if it is a partition of NTFS type enter
mount ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash
mount vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/flash (if it is an external medium)
from there copy all your stuff to the partition then type “reboot” or “halt” to shutdown to that you reinstall.
Use man pages if you dont know how to archive.

I think your problem may like in some configurations, If you can configure your nautilus or also possibly your .bashprofile or even your “home folder” you could actually stop the reinstallation. As I have said at a prelimenary stage it is better to reinstall.

It would help if you posted the contents

How often does this happen? Anything seem to cause it?

Can you post the contents of that Xorg log?

One way to do that is to go to a pastebin, upload the file, and give us the URL it gives you here.

Hi It seems to happen quite

Hi
It seems to happen quite often, maybe about 3 times a day.
When it occurs:
1. Its usually happens when the computer is idle (I’ve checked the power settings)
2. When Firefox is running

Xorg file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/05fkos

Aha

No sign of the error in that Xorg.0.log. You can try looking in Xorg.0.log.old after one of these crashes.

I see you have an nvidia proprietary driver. You did install that from the Ubuntu repositories, right? Not from something you downloaded from the Nvidia website. If you got it from the nvidia website, your best bet is to re-install Ubuntu and do it properly, those things are almost impossible to uninstall.

Syndicate content