Newbie + problems with flash and dropbox with lucid lynx

Hi Everyone
my name is Katherine, and I’m a relatively new user of Ubuntu - I’m running lucid lynx on my home and work computers - I am in the Economics department which makes me unpopular with our support guys. I can’t get a few things working.

1 - flash. Can’t view youtube videos - even though I’ve installed a number of the plugins - ubuntu restricted extras, flash plugin, flash plugin non free and others. Any tips please?

2 - my dropbox - it won’t work and I think it is because of issues with being behind the uct proxy. I followed the how to here to install ntlmaps, and it seems to be working, but I can’t get dropbox to connect - it says it is installed (appears under my application menu) but it hasn’t actually downloaded the daemon, and says it can’t connect to the internet. I’m not finding dropbox to be too helpful with this problem.

Those two are quite critical, but if anyone has any ideas as to how to map a network drive here at UCT, and how to be able to use network printers, I’d be overjoyed to hear them.

thanks in advance - any help/tips would really be appreciated!

Katherine

I figured out the network drive thing

from the ever so handy howto on these pages, but am still in the dark re flash. Youtube tells me my browser is no longer supported and I also need to download flash. My computer is full of ten thousand flash plugins, and I’m running mozilla firefox 3.66 - surely that should work for youtube? I am confused!

Flash setup

I recently started using Ubuntu(Lucid) and ran into similar problems with flash. This might not be the “right way” of doing it but it worked for me

1) Run a script to remove all existing flash plugins

First, you need to create the script file. For this just open a terminal and type:
gedit samplescript.sh

This will open gedit with a blank file named samplescript.sh. In the file, copy and paste the following:

#!/bin/bash
apt-get remove —purge flashplugin-installer
apt-get remove —purge flashplugin-nonfree gnash gnash-common mozilla-plugin-gnash
apt-get remove —purge iceweasel-flashplugin mozilla-flashplugin firefox-flashplugin
apt-get remove —purge swfdec-mozilla libflashsupport nspluginwrapper iceape-flashplugin
apt-get remove —purge xulrunner-flashplugin midbrowser-flashplugin xulrunner-addons-flashplugin
rm -f ~/.mozilla/plugins/*flash*
rm -f /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/*flash*
rm -f /usr/lib/firefox/plugins/*flash*
rm -f /usr/lib/iceape/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
rm -f /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
rm -f /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
rm -f /usr/lib/midbrowser/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
rm -f /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/*flash*
rm -f /usr/lib/xulrunner-addons/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
rm -f /usr/lib/xulrunner/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
rm -f /var/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so

Save this file.Next, run this command to make the file executable:
chmod 777 samplescript.sh

Now, to run the script, type this:
 ./samplescript.sh

That should remove the existing plugins

2) Add Canonical to sources.list

I think by default the path to download the flash plugin is set up through canonicals external site.So add the following to your software sources Go to System—> administration—->Software Sources—-> other software—> add: deb http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za/canonical-partner karmic partner

OR
Here is my sources.list file http://www.2shared.com/file/HNlDWYiS/sources.html ( download link at the bottom of the page ) Download the file and replace your existing sources.list file in your home directory.

3) run the following command sudo http_proxy=http://ftp.leg.uct.ac.za:80/ apt-get install flashplugin-installer to install the plugin

There is most probably an easier way of doing this but this method worked for me

thank you!

right, I’m going to give this a bash. I’ll let you know if it works. thanks!

hooray!

ratty, thank you ever so much. finally my youtube works. I know, I shouldn’t really be wanting it to work, but still - hooray!
I removed every darn thing associated with flash, including with your script, and then after that through synaptic, and it finally worked. just with your script even though it said it executed fine, it still said flash was installed when I tried to install it after the removal.

any bright ideas re dropbox?

Dropbox

Your best bet for drop box is to set up a transparent proxy.

If you only need to share between Ubuntu machines, you can also use ubuntu-one.

okey doke

okay cool, I’ll try set up the transparent proxy - I didn’t understand why I needed it in addition to the ntlmaps. I’ve got one windows computer and two ubuntu, so I’ve got to stick to dropbox for now. thanks! you may have saved me a walk - I was about to walk over to find someone, anyone in the computer science building who could help me with dropbox.

hmm

Okay, so I tried to set up tinyproxy according to the howto. It didn’t work - well it seemed to work, but then my drop box still moans about can’t connect to the internet. I think it’s because I either don’t understand how a script should work (3rd year comp sci was a long time ago), or I need to send a user and a password (which I set up in ntlmaps) but tinyproxy doesn’t use that maybe?

so I used Synaptic to install tinyproxy. No problems there. Then I used sudo gedit to edit this file - /etc/default/tinyproxy which I don’t think was there before - it is an empty file, not sure it ought to be - yes I know how stupid I sound. I pasted into that file these commands:
case “$1” in
start)
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 137.158.0.0/16 -j RETURN
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 196.24.192.0/18 -j RETURN
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp —dport 80 -j REDIRECT —to 8888
;;
stop)
iptables -t nat -F OUTPUT
;;
restart)
start-stop-daemon —stop —quiet -t —exec $DAEMON > /dev/null || exit 0

iptables -t nat -F OUTPUT
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 137.158.0.0/16 -j RETURN
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -d 196.24.192.0/18 -j RETURN
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT -p tcp —dport 80 -j REDIRECT —to 8888
;;
 esac

from the howto. Saved it and closed it. Got a bunch of funny error messages - I think my terminal was as confused as I was.

Then I entered these two lines into the terminal:
# update-rc.d -f tinyproxy remove
# update-rc.d tinyproxy stop 20 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 .

should they have gone somewhere else?

Then I opened up /etc/tinyproxy/tinyproxy.conf: using sudo gedit and made sure the settings were as below:

Port 8888
Listen 127.0.0.1
Upstream localhost:8080
ViaProxyName “tinyproxy”

Then I entered these two lines into the terminal:

# invoke-rc.d tinyproxy stop
# invoke-rc.d —force tinyproxy start

And then I went to dropbox in my applications > internet > menu, and it told me to go jump in a lake - can’t connect to the internet. It still hasn’t even downloaded the daemon apparently, and it can’t do that.

Please help - you’d be doing your good deed for the day!
thank you!

Yeah, unfortuntately it’s not

Yeah, unfortuntately it’s not an easy thing to set up. If it’s a laptop, I’d say bring it past CS300 and I’ll have a look at it. If not, catch me when I’m on campus (extension 3127) I don’t come in before midday many days, and I’ll have a look

Same Predicament

I’m in the same predicament as Katherine. I followed the same instructions she did and did exactly what she outlined in the previous post. Was there a solution? If so what was it?

Syndicate content